About Tara (TAR-uh) - she/her
For over twenty years I have been working with children and families in a variety of different roles, capacities and countries. I am a deeply caring person and passionate educator.
A snapshot of my experience:
- Currently enrolled in a Masters of Counselling Psychology graduate program to become a certified therapist
- Owned EducatorMama for 7.5 years: Hybrid Outdoor and Play Based Preschool
- Classroom (K-12), Guidance & Administration
- Extensive knowledge of the Ontario school system
- Experience supporting families and children with IEP's
- Manager Toronto Island Challenge Course & Director of Leadership
- Residential Supervisor at Private Boarding school
- Adapted Physical Education Instructor at Variety Village
My Masters in Education Capstone project looked at using children's books to build empathy and social emotional skills.* At the time I was seeking to find ways to address bullying. Over the years I have adapted this concept to incorporate a wide range of skills and topics.
Some fun facts about me:
- Parent of two unique and amazing children now into their middle school years
- Partner who is generational cycle breaker and Professional Chef
- Senior Black Belt Instructor & Competitor
- Spent my elementary years in Saudi Arabia, later returning as an educator
- My favourite things to do: walk with the family dog, read, have random dance parties, drive while listening to music far too loud, go out for Thai food
*Those are the tools and skills we need to identify our feelings, know what to do when we have feelings and also understand that others have feelings too. This is something I have carried throughout my career and plays a key role in how I help parents and educators build tools for everyday mental well-being with their children.
Why I Do What I Do
I've always had a unique take on understanding children and behaviour. Over the last two decades, people have come to me with questions about their children preschool through to post-secondary.
My famous line: "I read an interesting article" speaks to my going commitment to research, life-long learning and a willingness to consider differences of opinion.
I know parents and caring adults are super busy and don't always have time to fact check or know the value experience plays in expertise.
Some of the things I support parents with:
- understanding your needs & behaviour
- tools & skills to help your child communicate their needs
- fun, effective and engaging self-regulation strategies for all those big feelings
- fostering a relationship built on kindness and connection
I will teach you how to build a relationship around clear and appropriate boundaries, encourage essential connection and help you navigate the daily challenges of modern parenting.